The Energy Assistance Program is designed to assist low-income families with the high costs of home energy. The Program's heating season begins in November and Western Indiana Community Action Agency's Energy Assistance Program provides service to over 5,000 housholds each year. Offices in Clay, Putnam and Vigo counties are open to take applications for assistance from any income-eligible individual or household. In addition to the heating program, the Energy Assistance Program offers a summer program which begins in June. Household income guidelines are based on 150% of the Federal poverty guidelines.
705 S. 5th Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807
Clay County (November through March):
819 West Knight Street
Brazil, IN 47834
Putnam County (November through March):
620 Tennessee Street
Greencastle, IN 46135
Hours for all locations: 8:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
PLEASE CALL FOR AN APPOINTMENT
Application Requirements - All applicants must have the following:
1. Social Security cards for all household members over 12 months old. Birth certificates for each household member UNDER 12 months old.
2. Proof of all income for the past 12 months for everyone 18 years of age and older in the household: AWARD LETTERS or bank statements for Social Security, SSI, SSDI, VA benefits, or pensions; TANF printout for the past 12 months; PAY STUBS if you have been at the same job for a full year (we need the last 3-4 pay stubs); IF YOU WERE OUT OF WORK for some of the past 12 months or received unemployment benefits, we need you last pay stub from your most recent job and a Zero Income Form for each month there has been no income.
3. Current electric and heat bills. Your heat and electric bills must be in an adult household member's name over 18 years of age.
4. Renters must provide a current copy of their lease no older than 24 months. The lease must show what utilities are paid by the landlord or tenant. The lease must show your name and address and be signed by the landlord and tenant. Landlord affidavits are available in our office for the landlord to complete and sign. We cannot use certification letters or amendments for leases.
5. For home owners, proof of ownership: property tax statement, mortgage statement, deed or title (must be in houshold member's name).
6. If you are a veteran, DD Form 214 or Veterans ID card.
*** Please bring all documents, we do not have past files available ***
Income Requirements (must be less than):