Energy Assistance

The Energy Assistance Program is designed to assist low-income families with the high costs of home energy. The Program's heating season begins in November and Western Indiana Community Action Agency's Energy Assistance Program provides service to over 5,000 housholds each year. Offices in Clay, Putnam and Vigo counties are open to take applications for assistance from any income-eligible individual or household. In addition to the heating program, the Energy Assistance Program offers a summer program which begins in June. Household income guidelines are based on 150% of the Federal poverty guidelines.


Vigo County:
705 S. 5th Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807
(812) 234-3517

Clay County (November through March):
819 West Knight Street
Brazil, IN 47834
(812) 443-0122

Putnam County (November through March):
620 Tennessee Street
Greencastle, IN 46135
(765) 653-4017

Hours for all locations: 8:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Application Requirements - All applicants must have the following:

1.Social Security cards for all household members. If you do not have cards, a legal document with the SSN plus a picture ID is needed. We do not need a photo ID for children under 18 years of age.

2. Proof of all income for the past 12 months for everyone 18 years of age and older in the household: AWARD LETTERS or bank statements for Social Security, SSI, SSDI, VA benefits, or pensions; TANF printout for the past 12 months; PAY STUBS if you have been at the same job for a full year (we need the last 3-4 pay stubs); IF YOU WERE OUT OF WORK for some of the past 12 months or received unemployment benefits, we need you last pay stub from your most recent job and a Wage and Unemployment Statement from WorkOne (8th and Cherry Streets, 5th floor).

3. Current electric and heat bills. Your heat and electric bills must be in an adult household member's name over 18 years of age.

4. Renters must provide a current copy of their lease no older than 24 months. The lease must show what utilities are paid by the landlord or tenant. The lease must show your name and address and be signed by the landlord and tenant. Landlord affidavits are available in our office for the landlord to complete and sign. We cannot use certification letters or amendments for leases.

5. Please bring all documents, we do not have past files available.


Income Requirements (must be less than):



Templates in Time